The much adored darling of the Tech World, WordPress was born in May 2003 as the brainchild of Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. In 14 short years, this free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL has amassed a global fan following, rising to what can only be described as superstardom in the blogging and Content Management System of the world.
So whilst most of you reading this have already heard of WordPress, how much do you know WordPress? Bet not as we do:
- All good things in life are free and so is WordPress! For one and all, simply download from WordPress.org and get creative!
- WordPress currently runs over 75 million websites with over 60,000 free plugins in the official WordPress directory and growing. And this number doesn’t include the premium plugins available too for that extra bit functionality. Each of which offers custom functions and features enabling users to tailor their sites to their specific needs
- Being one of the biggest of its kind, and the most popular CMS, 27.5% of the websites in the entire world run thanks to WordPress or over 4.5% of the ENTIRE internet. That’s a mind boggling number!
- With a market share of 59.4%, WordPress beats other CMS like Joomla, Drupal, Magento and Blogger by large proportion. Every day, 50,000 new websites are created using WordPress coupled with 2.5 billion posts that have been written with WordPress and almost 70 million new posts are published every month. There are 17 blog posts published on WordPress sites every second of every day.
- WordPress powers 2,682 of the top 10,000 websites in the world including but not limited to CNN, Forbes, Vogue, MTV news, The Rolling Stones, Facebook (Newsroom), NASA, Harvard Business Review, TED Blog and LinkedIn.
- 1.6 billion Search results pop up in Google when searing for WordPress. Try it yourself!
- Over 542 million words are written in WordPress blogs daily!
- German, Croatian, Japanese, Norwegian, Slovenian, Hebrew, Spanish, Indonesian, English (Canada), Swedish, Slovak, Romanian, Polish, Russian, Scottish Gaelic, Italian, Dutch, Macedonian, French- whatever is your language, WordPress plugins are available in 56 language translations.
- For a CMS and blogging platform of such mammoth proportions, you would expect a massive team of WordPress developers behind its success; nope! WordPress is made up of a small community of only 449 employees. Compare that to more than 60 thousand employed by Google.
- If you are in any one of the 6 continents, 65 countries and 68 cities of the world, you can attend a WordPress conferences called World Camp and enlighten yourself with Discussions and information exchanges about WordPress even if you are not a WordPress expert; just an enthusiast.
- Such is the flexibility and versatility of WordPress that it can be used to build seamless Intranet sites, online courses, ecommerce sites, members-only site and gated online communities.
- WordPress isn’t just around to make life easier, but lucrative too when you start creating and selling pre-made premium themes and plugins.
About Us- We are Websites ‘N’ More, a Sydney based Web Development Company with a team of WordPress Developers on board. From developing simple informational websites to custom web applications, our team of WordPress Developers have the necessary skills and the knowledge to undertake a variety of projects.