Security for WordPress is critical given that it powers roughly 28.5% of the websites around the world. While WordPress is generally considered a secure platform there are some added steps you can take to further harden the security of the Content Management System. And there are plenty of plugins available on the WordPress Plugin Directory that can help you do so.
Here is a list of some of the most popular and feature rich security plugins for WordPress that has been created by our team of WordPress developers.
Wordfence is the most popular (downloaded) comprehensive security plugin for WordPress. This plugin is distributed for free but also has a premium (paid) version that provides access to premium support and other additional features such as two-factor authentication, scheduled scans, password auditing and more.
Some of the features for the security plugin include;
- Blocking For IP’s and Networks
- Login Security
- Security Threat Scanner
- Continuous Monitoring for Threats
- Multi-site Security
iThemes Security -
The second most popular security plugin for WordPress with close to a million downloads. iThemes Security works towards securing WordPress installations by fixing commonly known vulnerabilities, stop automated attacks and further tightening the security.
The features of the plugin include;
- iThemes Sync that allows you to manage plugins, themes and core updates from one dashboard for a number of WordPress installation.
- Brute Force Protection at website level and using a universal database of suspected IP’s.
- Blocking Users and Hosts for Brute Force protection.
- Turns Off File Editing.
- Runs Regular Scans on the WordPress Installation.
- Enables SSL security for the WP-Admin Page on supporting servers.
- Takes Regular Backups of the Database.
- Continuous Monitoring of the system in order to find vulnerabilities within the system, file changes and for malware protection.
- Also provides access to features such as changing the admin login URL path completely, turn-off the ability to login into the backend, change wp-content path and more.
Sucuri Security -
One of the most well known companies for online security, Sucuri offers a fantastic comprehensive plugin for further tightening the security of a WordPress website or a web application.
Some of the features the Sucuri Security Plugin include;
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications to the Website Administrator
- Firewall Protection
All In One WP Security & Firewall -
This plugin provides you that extra bit of protection that can go a long way. An easy to configure and use plugin that gives a website administrator access range of security features.
Some of these features include;
- User Account Security
- User Login Security
- User Registration Security
- Database Security
- File System Security
- HTACCESS and WP-CONFIG.php File Backup and Restore
- Firewall Functionality
- Brute Force Protection
- WHOIS Lookup
- Security Scanner
- Protection Against Comment Spam
- Content Copy Protection (Front-end)
Bulletproof Security -
Bulletproof Security is an automated security plugin that protects a WordPress website or application against commonly known threats. The plugin comes in both a free and a paid version and provides a 360 degree protection for a WordPress setup.
Some of these features include (Free Version);
- One-Click Setup Wizard
- Setup Wizard AutoFix (AutoWhitelist|AutoSetup|AutoCleanup)
- .htaccess Website Security Protection (Firewalls)
- Hidden Plugin Folders|Files Cron (HPF)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- Idle Session Logout (ISL)
- Auth Cookie Expiration (ACE)
- DB Backup: Full|Partial DB Backups | Manual|Scheduled DB Backups | Email Zip Backups | Cron Delete Old Backups
- DB Backup Logging
- DB Table Prefix Changer
- Security Logging
- HTTP Error Logging
- FrontEnd|BackEnd Maintenance Mode
- UI Theme Skin Changer (3 Theme Skins)
- Extensive System Info
Acunetix WP Security -
Acunetix WP Security is not the most popular comprehensive security plugin available on the WordPress Directory but it does a pretty good job for a free plugin as it provides a range of security features that can garden the security of a WordPress installation.
Some of the features include;
- Allows you to manage the security of multiple websites.
- Database backup feature that comes in handy if your website security is compromised.
- Hides the version of WordPress that is running except in the admin area.
- Provides security reports after conducting scans.
- Allows a web administrator to remove PHP error reporting.
- Removal of core update version for users that do not have administrative rights to the backend.
- Removal of theme update version for non-administrative users.
WP Hide & Security Enhancer -
This plugin aims to improve security of a WordPress based website by hiding the core files, theme plugin paths from being viewed on at the front-end. This essentially means that an attacker will never be able to guess the CMS that you are running thus making it hard for them to plan an attack on the setup.
Some of the features of this plugin include;
- Custom Admin Url
- Block default admin Url
- Block any direct folder access to completely hide the structure
- Custom wp-login.php filename
- Block default wp-login.php
- Block default wp-signup.php
- Block XML-RPC API
- New XML-RPC path
- Adjustable theme url
- New child Theme url
- Change theme style file name
- Clean any headers for theme style file
- Custom wp-include
- Block default wp-include paths
- Block defalt wp-content
- Custom plugins urls
- Individual plugin url change
- Block default plugins paths
- New upload url
- Block default upload urls
- Remove wordpress version
- Meta Generator block
- Remove pingback tag
- Remove wlwmanifest Meta
- Remove rsd_link Meta
- Remove wpemoji
While the list mostly contains comprehensive security plugins for WordPress that give you a 360 degree protection, you can also protect your WordPress setup against a specific threat using a more focused plugin e.g. Brute Force attacks. Hope this list is useful to you.